Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy: The Aftermath








Hey everybody! Did you all survive? My whole family is O.K., although nobody has power, and we probably won’t for a week or two. Does anyone have any bad stories? My total damages were a foot and a half of water in my basement and a few hundred pounds of debris on my front lawn, as you can see. Some of the stories I have heard about the Jersey Shore and New York City are pretty shocking.

Do you all remember my first post? Well that gorgeous beach I took those pictures on is now destroyed. The dunes are gone. All of dune road, the road parallel to the Hampton Bays and Westhampton beaches is gone. I never knew water and wind could do this much damage until I saw it with my own eyes. My grandma’s house is on the water right across from Dune Road. I watched for hours as thirty-foot waves crushed the land and poured into the bay. A lot of landmarks have either burned down or washed away. So, keep those people in your thoughts and prayers.

I have another food post coming up soon, as soon as power comes back. I am writing this in a Starbucks with one hundred other people on the slowest Wifi connection you can imagine—reminds me of the ancient dial up.

Everyone stay safe, and fill up with gas if you’re in the area because pretty soon the gas stations will be empty.

Cheers,

Jack


No comments: