Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Bowtie


So for all of you people who believe the only person who can pull off a non-tux bowtie is still Steve Urkel, I'm here to attempt to convince you otherwise. The bowtie is back, and, let me tell ya, it is here to stay. Since I briefly mentioned tuxedos, I just wanted to say one thing to all of the people reading this right now. A tuxedo MUST have a bowtie. I hate tuxedos and ties. And in the name of sweet baby Jesus, if you're wearing a tux, get your shit together and wear a real bowtie. If you're going to put that much effort into it, don't screw yourself over and wear a clip on, you'll look stupid. I'm talking to you high school prom guys.

Anyway, the bowtie. If anybody has noticed bowties have shrunk substantially since their peak in the last century. They're no longer gigantic bows. They're smaller, chic, and really a lot easier to pull off than you think. My advice on a bowtie is this. Invest in two other than your tuxedo's. You probably won't need too many more than two. Why do I say two? Because you want a solid one, probably blue or red, maybe gray. As for the second one, feel free to experiment. Get a fun pattern--stripes, polka dots, plaid even. Think about the shirts you have before you buy one though. A lot of times, people think stripes and another pattern don't match, but they work more often than you think. Keep to similar color palettes and you'd be surprised how many combinations you can get. Most of you know, I'm a big  J. Crew fan. Hell, I worked there this summer. Well, their fashion director, Gayle Spannaus, is one of the best pattern mixers of all time. She frequently writes company emails for J. Crew, so sign up for the email list if you want great advice from her. 

Basically, I want you guys to try something new. Don't let the past stereotypes mold you and prevent you from changing things up. BE A FUCKIN' MAN. That about wraps it up. In fact, I challenge you men. Because God knows, men like a damn challenge. Next party you have, or event, or whatever. Even if you're just going on a date, try the bowtie. Jeans, a cool shirt, nice pair of shoes, a blazer (try your suit jacket), and the bowtie. Let me know the reaction you get. 

Grow a pair & don't let me down, 

Jack 

No comments: